Basic ski course 6.2. – 10.2.17
Our basic course took place in TrollAktiv AS Syrtveit 4, 4735 Evje. We were worried about snow condition but eventually we had a lot of snow . We lived in two cabins (“girls cabin and boys cabin” )
First day on the ski – we were divided into two groups Len’s and Tim’s group. I was in the Len’s group. In the first day we tried some basic exercise on the ski mainly for to find your balance (create flower by snow tracks, stay on one leg, squat, “treading”) Many from our group were on the ski first time.
Second day – We continued in more practice ski. We tried downhill on the ski, go up, squat during ride and touched your heels at the same time (competition – who make more times):). In the end this day we enjoyed a lot of fun – We only played on the ski as a child but I still love it . We make train on the ski, slalom, snow fight and very funny position was which Tim showed us…I called it (it’s a secret…I can’t mention it here )
Third day – we less practice ski technique but we increase distance on the ski. I liked this… Sometimes I felt as an explorer in the expedition …because we made own track…I enjoyed this On the other hand I think (realized) that some people from our group didn’t enjoyed. Sometimes Ii was really a lot of snow – movement in this condition was very difficult and for people who stayed first time on the ski it had to be very difficult. So sometimes I tried to explain how use the ski but in English it wasn’t easy – so I had to use mainly demonstration. Our ski trip we finished by jumping on the ski it was fun
Fourth day – This time Tim was leader our group. We again increased distance on the ski. In addition, we had to use the map and navigate our group. Next we had to estimate time and distance from one point to other point. I realized how difficult is to orientate when snow is everywhere… We counted our average speed ca. 3 km/hod (1 km about 20 minute) but it depends on profile of terrain, skills, snow. We moved more time in the deep snow in free terrain – I liked when we had own track and we wandered nature. This time we had a goal and both group met at the top of hill where we made common pictures Way back was without complication for us, sometimes we tried telemark during downhill but I think that everybody fell down . Tim said us useful information about” avalanche (two sides, safety place where trees are); lake – danger where stream is…” This day we finished by downhill, learning telemark and competition in the slalom – it was fun.
In the evening every country should prepared traditional game, song, dance. Me and Eva chose Czech traditional dance -”Polka” and song “Kozel”. And I think that our everybody learnt this . Australia (had dance around firepalce), Switzerland (how make Swiss cheese), England (splash – it was new game for me we made circle and Jorge showed on somebody, this person had to make squat and people next to him/her had to as quickly as possible say “splash” to each other. If one of them was faster than second “fell out” from the game; Finland (Gold gate) ; Germany 1 (blink killer); Germany 1 (blind dog had to find chocolate under bell by navigation his owners)
- For me this course wasn’t difficult. On the other hand I realised that for many students from our group it was difficult and sometimes really challenge (mainly for people who stayed on the ski first time) because movement in the deep snow is difficult.
- I refreshed some information about ski – type (skating, classic, touring), wax to ski (how, type of wax- blue, red, …)
Some useful (and sth new) information from lectures for future:
- Daily bag should be (20-35 l) and should have – hip bell, ventilation system (back), top pocket – possible to remove it, dry sack (waterproof), compression strips, good carry system
- Take with you: snow shuttle (avalanche, shelter), “group shelter “(protect again wind, nylon),”ski strips”, FIK, repair kid, sth for sitting (sleeping pad), hot liquid, snack, food (enjoy eating, recycle bag), bivivak(keep dry, pack really small), waxes, WOOL (if wet keep warm!), spare clothes (gloves/mints, socks, hat – different material, water+ windproofclothes (GORETEX…), buff), ski goggles, sunglasses (snow blind, snowstorm!!!), MAP, COMPASS, head torch battery… You don’t take stuff only for you – It’s possible use it as emergency stuff for people from your group…
- Easy to find – In your pocket should be: sun cream, snack, map, ski wax (keep warm), telephone (keep warm battery), drink
- FIK = First aid kit: sport tape, plasters, antiseptic cream, bandage, cotton wool (TAMPON- stop haemorrage, pain killers (help with inflammation for ex. ibuprofen, paralen), needle, (minerals), resuscitation mask, safety pins, wire, tablet (diarrhoea)
- Danger: – hypothermia (behaviour!, COMMUNICATION); frost nip (freezing of tip layers of skin tissue; pinch – still white place; initial stages of frostbit); frostbite(touch – still white; no feeling…..WARM very slowly(gradually)! temperature as a body 37°C…..”clean, warm, rest”….how to avoid: DRY!, keep moving, WOOL socks, bigger boots; cut (clean, leave); deeper cut (clean, plaster or butterfly clip bandage; you can use tape; protect, compression, elevation, rest); break (stabilize,”move back”); snow blind (always ski goggles), CPR (before check situation; reaction; pain stimuli; free airways; check breath; call (112); CPR 30:2
- Type of snow (3 factors: water in atmosphere, temperature, wind)
- How to wax ski – from tip to end; remove old wax, clean (brush, nylon), glide wax (skating only), 2 layers wax (depend on temperature), area for waxing – stay on the ski and move the paper under the ski – where it’s possible to move paper = area for waxing – you wax. You can use blue wax (minus zero) and on this put red wax (zero to upper zero) (BUT not opposite).
What I realized: care about your group (OBSERVE, ASK, COMMUNICATE); your stuff in you bag isn’t only for you but it can be use as a rescue for others; observe very carefully environment, make more often but short breaks, avoid wet – frozen; plan your way (distance, time, way, place, break); watch your time during way; nylon group shelter is useful; for your orientation you can use sun, wind…